What are transparent & translucent ceramics?
Translucent ceramics are polycrystalline birefringent aluminas, meaning that there are several diffraction angles for a same wavelength. Translucent ceramics are mostly made of alpha alumina, such as CR or TCPLS.
Transparent & translucent ceramics have remarkable properties:
- Optical functions: transparent ceramics have excellent transmission properties. As for translucent ceramics, they have efficient diffusion properties. Baikowski® powders are optimized for optical functions in the final ceramics, as we control the purity, formulation for sintering process, and the size of particles to ensure the highest density ceramic parts.
- Mechanical strength and hardness: Spinel parts can be used in armor windows. Our spinel products have a constant crystallographic composition with low sulfur content and low metallic impurities. It ensures the best transparency and mechanical properties for your ceramic parts.
- Chemical stability: like most of ceramics.
- Thermal resistance: translucent and transparent ceramics are stable even at temperatures up to 1,600°C. In comparison, glass is already reacting at 550°C.
Those properties are strengthened by Baikowski’s control of particle size & size distribution in the delivered products. Moreover, we can dope our products on request in order to add intended properties for your final ceramic parts.
Seeing the upper properties, those ceramics are used for transparent/translucent applications in extreme conditions.
Translucent ceramics appear in:
- PCA ceramics for high pressure sodium lamps
- Heat dissipation ceramics
Transparent ceramics are applicable for:
- Armor windows
- Infrared windows
- YAG fibers for laser applications
- Lasers for wavelength conversion properties
Processability of Baikowski® powders
We provide powders for transparent & translucent ceramics. Our powders adapt easily to the customer process:
- Hot Pressing & HIP (Hot Isostatic Pressing)
- Injection Molding